Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ehiem Quick Vac PRO - Automatic gravel cleaner

So my previous post I didn't rate the Ehiem Quick Vac Pro very highly however thanks to a great suggestion from one of my fishy friends I do believe that it can be modified. OK so as I said the middle piece where the waste collects doesn't seem to be able to trap fine bits of waste or mulm. So the suggestion was to place some filter wool into the collection bag and bingo you can go ahead and use this for small tanks no problem. Actually this would be a great problem if you for instance had a small fish bowl and didn't want to get your hands dirty by removing all the gravel etc etc. You might need to replace the filter wool every couple of cleans but at least you clean the gravel without having to totally remove everything in the bowl.

So there is hope after all... I will post pictures soon

Dan

3 comments:

  1. Can you describe more on how to modify this? I recently bought the device and noticed it has been leaving my water somewhat cloudy. Would like to try the modification you suggest for picking up the finer dirt particles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so you pull apart the device and you can stuff some filter wool into the collection bag. Make sure you don't use too much otherwise it will clog up. when you remove the catchment bag the plastic piece on the bottom of the bag i.e. the bit that locks into place actually comes off. hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't seem to find "filter wool" at the pet store.. would "filter foam" work?

    ReplyDelete